Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Think Less, Make More

It's the end of the semester and I keep adding items to my "To Do" list quicker than I can cross them off. I did however, allow myself to spend some time enameling today. Strange thing, I know. I was just playing around, and I did a little sgraffito, which turned out kind of interesting. I really like sgraffito as a technique and thought to my self "I should do more of this."

This seems to be a current theme in my life, "I need to do more fill-in-the-blank." I need to sketch more, I need to apply for more shows and opportunities, I need to read more poetry, I need make more wearable work, I need to make more things happen in my life, I need to eat more vegetables and take more vitamins, and above all, I need to make more work.

After a while I began to think of the things I need to do less of. Like talk less, worry less, obsess less, put out less of other people's fires, and let things bother me less. I need to be more cloistered, more monk like, less distracted.

I'm not quite sure how to accomplish all this. Maybe if I do less of the things I need to do less of, I'll have time for the things I need to do more of. Maybe I just need to think less and make more.

3 comments:

Amy Tavern said...

I can relate. Do you make lists? I do and it helps. Looking forward to seeing you this weekend. Hope we get a chance to talk more.

Liz Steiner said...

Yes, yes, I make TONS of lists!

Yes, this weekend, I'm trying to schedule a time to talk with Caroline Gore about my work, but I'd love to get your take on it too, if I could.

Amy Tavern said...

Of course! I would love to! Let's meet up at the openings on Friday and plan it.