Friday, June 7, 2013

Quote of the Week


I've made a lot of progress on my Alabama Chanin piece and I'm pretty pleased with it so far. I've been pouring though my books and over their website gathering inspiration and taking in all their lovely images (already thinking about my next piece!). I came across this quote in the Alabama Stitch Book, by Natalie Chanin, founder of Alabama Chanin:

"But making the first cut is difficult. Taking that first step to do anything new, like starting a business or taking up stitching, can be filled doubt and fear. If I've learned anything from building the business of Alabama Chanin, it's that the reality of our fears is rarely as bad as we envision and that fear only serves to get in the way of the important things we need to do."

This really struck me, since I do a lot with doubt, anxiety and fear. For the past couple months, it's been anxiety about Sieraad. In my low moments, I imagine that I'm literally going to be laughed off the continent. It my clearer, more centered moments, I remind myself that the worst case scenario in this situation, is that I get to go to Amsterdam with a group for really fantastic artists.  It was nice to come across this quote this week, as our crowd source campaign went live and the whole thing suddenly became more tangible.

How about you dear readers? Are you fearless or full of doubts like myself? How do you cope professional anxiety?


No comments: