Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Jackalope Collective: Laura Wood

I'm so excited to present Laura Wood as today's interview. Laura and I went to grad school together at ECU and I'm so excited to be sharing this adventure with her!

Education: BFA Jewelry and Metalsmithing at University of Georgia
                  MFA Metal Design at East Carolina University
 Currently Lives/Works: Atlanta, GA where she is currently setting up her studio practice. For the past 2 years she lived and worked in San Antonio, TX gallery manager for Equinox Gallery. She will continue this curatorial work for Equinox from GA.

What is your work about?

My work blends familiar jewelry icons with unexpected materials and forms. I enjoy working within the format of adornment and creating work that challenges the idea of what jewelry can be. In my most recent series of work, I combine simple forms and pair them with repurposed jewelry, industrial materials, precious stones, and paper.

This combination of materials allows me to create identifiable pieces that offer a variety of connotations. Metal is transformed into an ambiguous surface and found jewelry is concealed beneath hand-made paper, simultaneously disguising their value while also embracing the value of disguise. Much of what I use is recycled, breathing new life into objects that have experienced one or more already. The pairing of traditional and modern aesthetics creates new vocabulary in the ongoing dialogue about contemporary jewelry.

What are you looking forward to most about Amsterdam?

I am filled with excitement as I prepare to participate for SIERAAD. This is an opportunity to exhibit alongside artists from all over the world. I am also looking forward to experiencing how the work is received from an international audience. Being a part of this group of emerging artists is very special to me and I enjoy knowing that we will be sharing this experience together.

What artists inspire you?

My time at UGA, ECU, Southwest School of Art, Equinox Gallery, Penland School of Crafts, and other communities have all introduced me to some of the most hard working and determined artists. This inspires me. Making work and accessing the creative takes discipline and commitment, but understanding how to make a living from this can be very complicated. At this point in my career I am looking to these folks and I’m hoping I can follow in their footsteps.

What's the best advice you were ever given about being an artist?
Three quotes from three wise people come to mind:
“There is room for everyone, we can all have a piece.” – Alejandro Sifuentes
“Figure out what you do best and be the best at it.” – Jim Cotter
“Get down and dirty with it.” – Bob Ebendorf

Any Final Thoughts on Sieraad?

The indiegogo fundraiser for this group is a supplement to our financial commitment, As the 10 of us have already made the decision to participate. It is important to note that this campaign goal of $7500.00 just covers our booth fee and not the entire trip. This financial assistance would be of great help. We are all emerging artists that are hoping to grow from this experience. When Rachel and Jillian contacted me about being a part of this group if selected by the juried process, I did not hesitate to apply. Our art jewelry community has always been an example of a supportive network. I plan to share my experience at SIERAAD after we return and I hope it might be of interest to others who might want to participate in future exhibits. Please consider supporting us!
To support Laura and the rest of the Jackalope Collective, please check out our campaign. Thanks so much to Laura for her participation!

No comments: