Sunday, September 30, 2012

Roll with It. . . .


So, I was supposed to teach a bookmaking workshop this weekend at the Craven County Arts Festival, in New Bern, NC. I was scheduled to teach two three hour workshops for up to eight students each and I've spent the past two weeks furiously preparing and trying to get the arts council to answer a few of my questions. Then just Thursday, I got an email saying that my workshops were both canceled due to only ONE person signing up. 

Needless to say, I was a bit bummed. I was really looking forward to this experience. I also wish that the arts council would have given me more than a two day notice. I needn't have stressed out so much and I could have used my time to do other things that needed to be done. Like all my grading. I literally spent HOURS tearing and cutting paper. Not to mention the money I put out for supplies.

 

But, on the up side, I now have materials to work with, and materials prepped that I can hopefully use to teach another workshop somewhere else. It was still a learning experience, and a good lesson on rolling with whatever comes your way. It also kinda forced me to go through my paper stash and clean out some stuff that I'll most likely never use. I put together a few mix bags of papers, that I intended offering to my workshop students, but now they're listed in the "Destash" section of my shop.

In the end, I opted not to go to the arts festival at all. Mainly because I drive an hour to New Bern four days a week already to teach and gas is nearly $4 a gallon. Instead, I stayed home all day, and split my time between working in my metals studio and making books. (I built up such a book momentum getting ready for this workshop, I'm having a hard time switching gears. I decided to just run with it. ) All in all, it was a pleasant and restoring day. I get so much out of my weekends, I'm always disappointed to see Monday come around again. This week is sure to be busy too, with the grading I put off last week, subbing for friend's design class and a repair commission. I'm going to make a concentrated effort to get back to blogging on a more regular basis though.

Happy weekend!




No comments: