Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Charm Swap

My friend Tara Locklear has organized several charm swaps since past spring, and I finally participated in one about a month ago. The theme of this round was "The Circus", and I had a really hard time with this at first. Then I figured it would be cool to find some kind of vintage circus ephemera, sandwich it between some mica and some metal frames and rivet the whole thing together. It took me a while to find the paper/circus component, but I finally came across a great vintage paper shop on Etsy, that had a bunch of old circus schedules for a buck each. So I bought one, and this is the result:


I know I'm a dork, but I'm really proud of these rivets. I don't do a whole lot of riveting.

The charm I received was from ECU graduate and former studio mate Mara Friedland! I was so excited, since I really enjoy her work, but had yet to acquire a piece. This piece is more indicative of her style of work and not so much the circus, but I absolutely love it.

Anyone can participate in these charm swaps. In fact Tara has done quite well in recruiting people outside of Greenville. If you'd like to participate, feel free to contact Tara or myself. We'd be delighted to include you!

No comments: