Sunday, November 23, 2008

Feild Trip to the Walters

So yesterday I went to Bedazzled: 5000 Years of Jewelry at the Walter's Art Museum in Baltimore with Taylor, Amy and Dillon*. I also went to panel discussion between Betty Cooke, Joyce Scott, Helen Drutt and Shaina Kroix. It was really great, and afterward all four of us bought the $90 giant orange fuzzy book, catologing Helen Drutt's collection of art jewelry, and we each got it signed by Helen Drutt and Joyce Scott. That was kinda a big deal for me, because Joyce Scott is in a book called The New Beadwork. By some strange twist of fate, the little public library in my hometown has a copy, which I checked out, devoured and was a big catalyst for me making jewelry at all. If you would have told me a decade ago, that I would meet Joyce Scott and have her sign the page in Helen Drutt's book that has the same image of the same piece of work I first saw at 14 in The New Beadwork, I would have thought you were nuts.

Bedazzled was also great. Looking at all that history always blows my mind. Probably because I couldn't make that stuff if I tried, even with all my modern tools. When you think about what they were making with just a fire and a hammer, it's truly mind
boggling.





My favorite, was of course, the Lalique.

*Sorry Dillion, but I would have linked you, but I couldn't find your blog address. Meow.

No comments: