Tuesday, January 18, 2011

BLOT

Well, we made it through another successful Symposium, here at ECU. I'll be blogging about it in depth after I've had time to digest and organized my thoughts a little bit better.

In the mean time, things are starting to return to normal, or as normal as they ever get around here. Last fall the students from Indiana University's Metal's Program contacted us about doing a joint show. After some brainstorming and back and forth between programs, we settled on BLOT. Students from IU and ECU are designing pieces based on the Rorschach ink blots, the idea being to see how different people interpret the same blot.

I think this is a great idea for a show. But, after being the last person to get my ink blot and then loosing my ink blot, having to look up my ink blot (I'm pretty sure this is the one I was assigned) I'm faced with making a piece based on the image above. And I'll admit, I don't see a damn thing in this image. Even Wikipedia says that people typically don't see anything in this card. It's blurb says:

"Characteristic of card IX is indistinct form and diffuse, muted chromatic features, creating a general vagueness."

General vagueness. Awesome. I'm trying to be positive about this, and embrace the fact that I can pretty much do whatever. I want to be a vague as possible. I don't see anything in this image, except for some funny colored liquid, so maybe the piece should reflect that, instead of me trying to force something.

Of course, I could always take this route.

No comments: