Thursday, October 11, 2007

Don't Eat Hazmat Crickets

So the words I chose for my next project are 'taxonomy" and "catechism". Taxonomy is the study of the classification of organisms (Think Linneaus). A "catechism" is "a summary or exposition of doctrine, traditionally used in Christian religious teaching from New Testament times to the present Catechisms are doctrinal manuals often in the form of questions followed by answers to be memorized."
Taxonomy involves the naming of organisms with the hierarchy: Kingdon, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species, which is sort my own personal catechism. Also repeating the names of the 5 Kingdoms: Animalia, Plantea, Fungi, Monera and Protista. Running through these in my head sort of grounds me in crazy times. I can hold on to these things I know as being true. I also take comfort in the naming of things and knowing the scientific names of things. I like knowing how things are classified in this system.

What is the Phylum of sponges?: Porifera
What is the largest order upon the earth? : Coeleoptera
What was Class Insecta is now Hexapoda and will remain so for some time.

No comments: