Thursday, January 7, 2010

Charmed


Here are my charms for the "Charmed" show at the Society for Contemporary Craft. I struggled, as I always do when trying to make something that actually has to function as a wearable. Since I work with a variety of materials, I have to consider which ones will hold up to the everyday abuse jewelry can take. Especially a charm. For some reason, I picture charms getting whacked around a bunch. I found the scale challenging too.

These are gold leafed lava rocks, with sterling silver and lava beads. I'm fairly happy with them. I like the simplicity of them.

Here's the rest of the info on the show:
"Charmed"
an exhibition of artist-made charms and charm bracelets at the
2100 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
January 19-February 27, 2010

Other participants include:
Bob Ebendorf
Robert Longyear
Margaux Lange
James Thurman
Jen Townsend
Marlene True
Rob Jackson
Robin Kraft
Ana Lopez
Victoria Altepeter
Mary Hallam Pearse
Kathryn Osgood
Brittany Sondberg
Erica Stankwytch Bailey
Allyson Bone
Vince Pontillo
Adrienne M. Grafton
Lynette Andreason
Bryan Peterson
Tavia Brown
Autumn Brown
Talya Baharal
Tim Lazure
Renee Zettle-Sterling
Colleen Heineman
Rachel Ketzner
Sarah Holden
Stacey Webber
Lynn Batchelder
Raissa Bump
Alissa Lamarre
Tedd McDonah
Becky McDonah

2 comments:

Lynette said...

I had the same issues with thinking the charms would get all banged up! And size was a challenge as well. Who knew charms would be so tough! I like how yours came out! Wish I could see the show in person!

Liz Steiner said...

Thank! I really wish I could see the show too! There's so many talented people on that list and I bet there's going to be a great variety of charms!