Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Peter's Valley Part 1.

I've only mentioned Peter's Valley, and it's been more than a month since I left, so I thought I'd better blog about it a bit. For those of you not familiar, PV is a craft school much like Penland or Arrowmont, only not as big or well known, located in the middle of the Deleware Water Gap, near Layton, NJ. Seriously could not be more different than Gatlinburg, TN! This was the best thing about PV, how beautiful it was (when it wasn't raining). This is the swamp across from the building where I slept. I loved this view. I'd go out and sit by the swamp if the weather was nice and I had free time
This is Hilltop, where I and several of my fellow assistants stayed on the upper floor. The downstairs is the weaving studio. Unfortunately, only one class ran in that studio in the time I was there, and that was the week I went to dog sit. PV had a lot of class cancellations, due to enrollment, and later in the summer, the weather. Only two metals classes ran while I was there, which was a bit dissappointing. Especially when Marjorie Simon's Torch Fired Enamels class was canceled because PV was still without power after Irene.
They were firing the Amagana kiln at PV while I was there too, so I got to seem 2 Amagana's fired this summer. The first was at Arrowmont, and there was actually a student from the A-mont class that was also in the PV class! Small world! I didn't get to see much of the firing though, because of the distance between their studio and my own, but I did get to walk inside of it. That's the real downside to PV, everything is so spread out. You have to drive everywhere. It's nearly 2 miles through the woods from where I stayed up to the metals studio. It just didn't foster the same sense of community of Arrowmont. But, since the land and the buildings at PV are owned by the park system, there's only so much they can do.
PV has a blacksmithing studio, which I thought was pretty cool. Only one class ran while I was there, which was a bummer. I didn't spend much time there, but I did go check it out, and took pictures of all the tools.

More to come! Thanks for reading!

No comments: