Wednesday, March 17, 2010

SNAG Houston Pt. 2




I think I said this before, but I feel that this conference had the best work on display out of three conferences I've been to. I don't know if it's just my personal taste, or the fact that I got to see more of the shows this year than in the past. The gallery tour lasted two nights, with different shows featured each night, which gave everyone a chance to see more. One of my favorites was Caroline Gore's show Interventions, Observations and Simulations at the Lawndale Art Center.
I've admired her work through photographs for a while now, but seeing the work in person is always a different experience. Her entire show was quiet and lovely. The large installations had a certain quietness to them, and they didn't over power the small works at all. I love her combinations of metal, fabric and photography. For me, it was a gem of a show.

We also hit up the Extreme Tea Exhibition. I made a tea infuser in two days, right before the submission deadline for this show. It turned out great and I was super happy with it. It didn't get into this show and after seeing the work that did, I can totally see why. Although I thought this show was great, it was overall not the aesthetic of my work at all. My piece totally wouldn't have fit in. I still glad I made my tea infuser, and was able to show it here at ECU.
Here are my favorites from the Extreme Tea Show, which I managed to photograph before they told me to stop. These were probably the most non-tradition pieces in the whole show, and unfortunately I don't know who made them.




And here's my friend Marissa with her enameled lady tea infuser!