There's about 13 MFA's graduating from the ECU School of Art this semester, and 11 of us are showing in the school's main gallery, the Gray Gallery. It's a fairly large gallery, but with eleven people, space is a little tight. Especially with three sculptors, a textile artist, a wood artist, a painter, two ceramists, and three metals grads. Two of us work larger than your typical metalsmith, and the third is displaying her work on vintage furniture.
Well, we had a meeting this morning to divide up the gallery and pick spots. It actually went rather smoothly, and everyone seems pleased with the floor plan we came up with. I'm getting the enclosed space that I want, those who need floor space have it, those who need walls have walls.
So now that I have a better idea of the space I actually have, I can figure out how much work I need to make. I'd still like to have 12 neckpieces (I currently have 7.5) but I wanted to know just exactly how many wall brooches I need to have by April. I did the math and played around with spacing and came up with 190 to fill the one wall that I have. I'm going to round up to 200 because a few always seem to fall apart when I pull them out of the box, and this way I can cull out some of the weaker ones when I go to install.
It feels good to have a more defined goal. Although I am still near panicking about the amount of work left to do. I have started my thesis paper, but it is going s-l-o-w-l-y. I've started putting together neckpiece #7 and I have #8 designed and the parts made, but not finished.
Breathe in, breathe out.