Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Before and After. . .





Well, more like a during and after. These are pics of a piece I just finished. It's fairly simple, just rocks and spool knitted thread, but with a personal twist. These are the rocks that my friends used to decorate my birthday cake, instead of candles this year. At first I set out to make a piece just for me, using those rocks, but as I was working on it I kept thinking about issues of time and rocks as indications of time and history, and how this was marking a piece of my history. Then I began to think about some things that were mentioned in a critique this past semester about knots in string and ways that people used to mark time and how each rock acts like a knot in the string, marking one year of my life. It all just came together and it kinda tickled me. It's not the most involved piece I've ever made, nor is it the prettiest, but for now I'm pretty happy with it. The top pic is of the piece steeping in tea to dye the thread.

1 comment:

Care said...

Candles are intrinsically connected to many events in our lives, such as birthdays, holiday dinners and religious celebrations. Recently, however, candles have become a part of our everyday lives adding warmth style and mood to every room in your home. See how the candles have managed doing this.